We are delighted to be able to welcome you back to the IWM’s Archive and Research Room which gives access to material from the library, documents, photos and sound archive, and IWM administrative records.
The arrangements for the re-opening will be Covid-19 secure in line with Government and Public Health England guidelines. The Archive and Research Room service and space present particular challenges, especially with regards social distancing, and we therefore continue to offer a limited service.
We are open on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 10am-3pm, to nine individual researchers who will be able to order 10 separate items each. There will be no lunch break closure.
Microfilm material, including the War Artists Archive (WAA), is now available for consultation. However, if you require access to the originals in the WAA please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will consider your request on a case-by-case basis.
Regrettably we are still unable to take group bookings.
We will continue to monitor the public health situation and make further changes as it evolves.
Our Collections Search will enable you to identify the material you would like to see.
- Please select a date from the calendar below, then proceed to enter your details.
- Your appointment must be made at least 7 days in advance of your planned visit to allow for quarantining your requested material.
- Please request the material you wish to see at the same time as making the booking. Otherwise your request for an appointment will not be accepted.
- If you wish to make an Archive and Research Room booking for more than one day, please let us know by completing the relevant box at step 3.
- IWM staff will contact you to confirm your booking. Please do not make travel plans until you hear from us.
- To amend or cancel an existing request, or make any other enquiry, please Contact Us, stating the request reference if you have one.